Brussels, Belgium, Beer

​Reader, 

The last few days I have spent my time eating my way through Brussels, the capital of Belgium. Accompanied by my favorite travel companion, we set off and took on the city for everything it had to offer us. 

Walking into the city felt like I had entered a movie set, or maybe ‘Main Street’ in Disney World. Cobblestone streets, horse drawn carriages, and old architecture surrounded us. It was magical and new. 

Belgium is known for its food, specifically mussels, waffles, chocolate, fries, and of course beer (we tried them all). Eating my way through Europe has arguably been my favorite part, being the daughter of two wonderful chefs. 

Belgium has also introduced a new level of culture shock, though. So far, I have visited Amsterdam and London in addition to my current stay in Galway. These cities are all English-speaking for the most part. However, Brussels is a city that mainly speaks Dutch, French, and German being sandwiched between The Netherlands, Germany, and France. So, for the first time in my life I experienced a language barrier. English and Spanish have always been the first and secondary languages I’ve experienced living on the western side of the world so this was a huge culture shock for me. Although, the friendly people of Brussels were patient with us navigating menus and street signs. 

Every city I visit has been good to me. For that, I’m grateful. I hope I can visit every city in the world one day, but we’ll start with Brussels. 

Yours ever, 

Gracie

 

Comments

Popular Posts