Here's To The Rain

 Reader, 

    Yesterday marked two weeks of me living in Galway and I have experienced so many different things since being here. When we settled in and kicked jet lag, my SU friends and I started exploring the city and learning our way around. With the help of Google Maps, the lovely reception staff, and simply wandering around, we now know where most things are. Galway is a small city and can be traveled on foot. For longer distances, we purchased student leap passes which allow us to board the bus for 30% cheaper than it would normally be if we paid per ride using coins. 

   Each time I walk to Eyre Square, the central hub of Galway city, I am enriched with cultural sights, foods, and etiquette. A small difference I still haven't gotten used to is the flow of traffic typically being on the left. Pro Tip: If you ever visit Ireland and find yourself crossing the street, look 'right, left, right.' It may feel wrong but it's much better than thinking you're ready to cross and seeing headlights barreling at you while you're in the center of the lane. We live, we learn. 

    The city is a deluge of bright colors, live music, and people from many cultures. This bright, lively nature helps to counteract the inevitably dreary weather that can put an American down in the dumps. However, we've had more blue-skied days than I expected. Another thing I can't kick is smiling at strangers as we are walking by. This is just second nature for all of us, being a symbol of politeness in the small borough of Selinsgrove. However, locals will throw you a funny look if you smile at them too wide in passing. This is something I never expected to run into, but I am learning slowly how to act in social settings here. 

    I am having the absolute time of my life and I am excited for the next four months of my life. However, it's hard to not wonder how things are going at home. How's my mom doing? Does my boyfriend still get coffee before the gym even if I'm not there? Does my cat know I'm gone? Is it snowing at home? Did the plows start late enough for them to cancel school? Did my sister get to work on time today? These questions flood my every day. My first true feeling of homesickness came when I heard of the first snowstorm at home this week. Seeing pictures of the light, fluffy snow coating the town, silencing the noises in the world made me look out my window into the rainy street and feel empty. I don't even particularly like snow. But to me, snow is home, and that's not something we have here at the moment. So, I'll watch home from afar and make the rain my home, at least for now. 

Here's to the rain. 

Ever yours, 

Gracie 





Comments

Popular Posts