A Letter To A Future Traveler

 Dear reader,

This January, I stepped onto a plane, left everything I’ve ever known and everyone I’ve ever loved, and moved to Galway, Ireland for one semester. While this experience was certainly the best time of my life that I wouldn’t trade for the world, there are a few things I wish I could go back and tell myself now that I went through it. 

I wish I knew what was ahead of me in terms of how I was feeling. Studying abroad was a transformative time for me and I did not realize that with growth comes growing pain. Depression is common for students studying abroad due to homesickness and general uncertainty. However, after studying in Galway, I learned that Ireland has one of the highest depression rates in Europe. For me, it was mainly due to the constant gray weather. This is a very real challenge you may face when studying abroad in this otherwise wonderful country. If you want to avoid this, try your best to stay active, take vitamin d supplements, keep yourself busy, and practice mindfulness. 

While I was preparing to go to Galway, many people suggested that I do my best to de-Americanize myself. I was told to leave anything that could identify me as an American behind and try to dress more like Irish people or Europeans in general. You can ignore this. Obviously, don’t dress like it’s the fourth of July, but you should not lose yourself by dressing differently. Trust me, they can already tell you are American and believe it or not, they will want to talk to you because of it. Many Irish people have distant relatives in America. So, many times Irish people were genuinely interested and would want to talk to me about my home. 

If you want to make the most out of your time in Galway, I would suggest taking advantage of the nightlife, any day of the week. Live music is a huge part of the cultural heart of Ireland and many pubs have musicians every night of the week. By going out and having a few drinks with my friends, I was able to meet Irish people that I wasn’t necessarily able to meet while at school. Eat, drink, dance in the streets, experience this culture that welcomed me with warm hearts and open arms. Take advantage of the laughter and kindness that’s shown to you. Ireland is so gray and cold during this time of year, and it will help ground you to be around this warmth and light. 

Get a leap card for the bus, it makes things easier. Ryanair has deals where you can get flights for ten euro, look for them. Ireland doesn’t have iced coffee, do not order it unless it is specifically on the menu. If the bartender asks you, “Are you alright?” they are asking you if they can get you anything to drink, they aren’t asking about your wellbeing. Aldi is cheaper than Tesco. If you’re craving American snacks, there is an American store called ‘CandyLand’ although it is very expensive. 

To anyone going abroad for a semester, I know it seems so scary like your whole world is changing, but you will be fine. The experiences you are about to have are some of the best and most eye-opening you may have ever had. Stay true but allow yourself to change. You will never be 20 and traveling the world again, enjoy it. I did.


Ever yours,

    Gracie 





Comments

Popular Posts