The One Where It's St. Patrick's Day

Reader, 

I hope you hug your best friend when you see them. If you're anything like us, you laugh until you could swear you gained six pack abs when you're together. Your whole existence feels like it's a sitcom and every silly thing that happens contributes to the ongoing plot. 

My best friend's birthday is on March 17th, St. Patrick's Day and we always celebrate the occasion together even though neither of us have any Irish heritage. So, what better way to celebrate your best friend's 21st birthday than by having her visit and celebrate in Ireland on St. Patrick's Day weekend? We knew this would be fantastic for our plot. 

Marissa and her friends she met while studying abroad in Salamanca, Maria and Katie, arrived in the early afternoon on St. Patrick's Day. That morning, I attended the parade in Galway and saw a new side of the city. The streets were lined ten people deep for miles and everyone was decked out in their tackiest outfits. Green, green, and more green is all I have to say. Green disco balls were hung in the streets, each pub had green lights projecting on them and were adorned in bundles of orange, green, and white balloon arches. People were dancing, drinking in the streets. Shamrocks and rainbows were pasted in every empty space anyone could find. It is exactly the way you would imagine Ireland to be on this special day and more. 

I was so proud and excited to show my friends what the culture and nightlife is like in Galway. And what better an example than this specific weekend? We laughed, we drank, we danced, and I showed them how people like to have fun in this little city. 

Each person I've brought to Galway has said the same sort of thing when reflecting on their time here. People here enjoy life. Their careers aren't their whole lives. They hang out with their friends and go to the pub and they don't worry about what others think of them. They look out for each other and create a sense of family and pride wherever they go. Their love for the little things in life like live music, dancing in the street, and laughing is so admirable and makes me want to change my way of life back home in America. It's something so special and I don't think I could ever possibly replicate it anywhere else in the world. Being able to experience this little treasure I found on the west coast of Ireland with my best friend on one of the biggest birthdays of her life fulfilled me in a way I can't begin to explain. 

Love for Marissa Traglia, love for her friends, love for this city, love for the people, love for the culture, love for laughing, love for dancing, love for screaming a song at the top of your lungs, love for the moments, love for spontaneity, love for friendship, love for love. 

I hope you hug your best friend when you see them. Until the next time we see each other, I'll be living vicariously through you and yours. 

Ever yours, 

Gracie 

P.S. Happy 21st Birthday, Marissa!



Comments

Popular Posts