The Friends You Meet Along The Way, Including Yourself

Reader,  

People often say, "In the end, you only have yourself." 

I arrived in Galway with six other Susquehanna students, knowing none. I can't say that is true anymore. Jules is witty and she makes experiences more fun. Carrie is grounding for me and she always knows what to say. Alanna is considerate and accepts people for who they are. Molly is kind and they bring up perspectives I never would've considered. Liam is supportive and is always down to get a pint. Jason is easy going and never misses a chance to go on an adventure. I could write an essay about each one of them but no words could possibly ever capture the safety and security they all make me feel. 

Our small group of 7 soon grew by a few when we met Kera, Daniel, and Josh. Kera is from LA and I learn something new about her every time we spend time together. Daniel is from Texas and is understanding and patient. Josh is also from Texas and is gregarious and carries himself with confidence. With each new person we meet, we add perfect layers of complexity and friendship that compliment the layers before. 

When you move to a foreign country, you make the conscious decision to leave everyone you've ever met, everyone you're comfortable with, and everyone you rely on daily. To me, home is found within people rather than a geographical place. This was a tough pill to swallow knowing people can be moved and yet I'm still here alone. 

Yet I'm sitting here writing this knowing fully that I am not alone. I saw a post the other day that said you are never alone, for you are always sitting with every version of yourself. My current self is sitting at a local coffee shop typing up a blog to show everyone at home. My 5-year-old self sits criss-cross applesauce on the floor next to me and gets frustrated with how long I'm taking, so eager to sound out the words on the screen. My 13-year-old self clutches onto her poetry book and tells me I'm lame for this segment, but is secretly admiring the vulnerability I am able to show now. She admires my sticker collection on my laptop and tries to understand who I am through them. My 18-year-old self sits across the table from me and listens in awe as I tell her everything we've been through over the last three years in University. She can't believe I chose Ireland. "That's so unexpected," she says as I finish the post. "I've learned the best things always are," I reply. We love to enjoy each other's company, but I have to go back to my apartment and catch up with all of the people I've had the pleasure of meeting over the last month. 

In the end, it is true that all we have is ourself, but today is not the end and other people have me, too. 

Ever yours, 

Gracie





Comments

Popular Posts