Measuring Experiences

Reader, 

How does someone measure experiences? Do we measure them by how much fun we had? Do we take into account all the bad? Where does the uncertainty play a role? If I knew how to measure experiences, the last month of my life would be abundant. 

My 21st birthday was on February 3rd. I woke up feeling sad because I knew this birthday wasn't as big of a deal as it is in the United States because the legal drinking age in Ireland is 18. I felt insignificant, like a little fish in a huge pond and I didn't want to get out of bed at all.  However, when I did, my friends from Susquehanna and a few others we've picked up along the way had set up a surprise party for me, complete with cake, candles, music, and love. I have never in my life felt so cared for. They knew that this birthday was timed unfortunately and they did everything they could to make it special for me and I will forever be grateful for that. We went to the pub and gave cheers for my coming of age. The band in the pub played the 'Happy Birthday' song on a fiddle and I was happy.

The next day, we woke up at 5:45 AM and hopped on a flight straight to Amsterdam. This was my birthday gift to myself and my friends came along for the ride. We visited the Vincent Van Gogh Museum, walked the streets of the city, stopped at a tulip market, took a sunset canal ride, ate amazing food, and enjoyed the sights of this amazing place. Everyone in Amsterdam is so free and happy. Being there was surreal and it felt as if I was in a movie or some sort of fairytale land that only exists in stories. Something so small and mundane like walking down the street feels so different when you're on the other side of the world. I felt my child-like wonder come back after years of it being gone and I was in genuine awe. The warmth and happiness I felt being in a new place again consumed me and it made me realize just how grateful I am for this opportunity. 

Everything in my life has led up to this and if I had made one slightly different decision along the way, like not choosing Susquehanna University, I would not be here right now. I am thankful for this life. I am thankful for the experiences. I think maybe life is just a compilation of experiences, good and bad, that you share with other people. I hope you can experience things and share them with people you love. That's all anyone could ever really ask for.

Until the next time we meet, I'll keep trying to figure out how this can be measured. I can't wait for the next 21 years.

Ever yours, 

Gracie 












Comments

Popular Posts