Packing Should Be A Unit Of Time Measurement


​Reader, 

When I was a child, I would pack for our family vacation a few weeks in advance each year. By the time August rolled around, I had already had my outfits planned since June. I used to love making all my items fit like puzzle pieces until they were just right. When I was a child, the act of traveling was exciting. 

As I got older, the destination became more important to me than the journey. I developed motion sickness and dreaded any commute where I had to sit in the back seat. I would put off packing later and later until I was eventually only packed the night before so my mom didn’t get stressed out. 

I decided Ireland was not going to be something I can “wing.” Packing my suitcases felt like an enormous obstacle that I would rather sit next to than climb, but my anxiety forced me to organize it early. I’m so glad I did because it took up an ENTIRE day. Granted, I took about 10 snack breaks. However, I think packing should be a unit of time measurement with how long it took. 

If you’re in my position and you’re packing for a long trip, try to follow these rules:

1) Make a list. Write down every single item you can think of bringing and cross them off as you pack them away. 

2) Coordinate what luggage you’ll be taking. 

3) Think, “Can I style this garment more than one way?” This will help you avoid bringing unnecessary pieces of your wardrobe. 

4) Consider the weather! For me, I made sure to pack a winter windbreaker… and rain boots…

5) Invest in a luggage scale. Save yourself the panic at the airport of how you’re going to shove a random shoe and a bottle of shampoo from your checked bag into your carry on so it’s not overweight. 

6) Allow yourself comfort items. Do you sleep with that old stuffed animal every night? Bring it. Trust me. 

I hope I can learn to love the journey as much as the destination. 

Ever Yours, 

Gracie


Comments

Popular Posts